Department of Children, Youth & Families (2023)

Working Connections Child Care (WCCC) helps eligible families pay for child care.When a family qualifies for child care subsidy benefits and chooses an eligible provider, the state pays a portion of the cost of child care. Parents may be responsible for a copayment to their provider each month.

  • Copay Calculation Table- Effective beginning April 1, 2022
  • Child Care Subsidy Regional Map for Licensed Family Homes and Centers

Families experiencing homelessness may be approved for up to 12 months to help resolve issues surrounding homelessness.

Basic Eligibility Requirementsfor Child Care Subsidy Benefits

  • The child must be a U.S. citizen, legal resident, or otherwise eligible for federal benefits
  • The family with whom the child resides must live in Washington state
  • The family's income must be at or below 60% of the State Median Income (SMI) at application or 65% of SMI when reapplying
  • The family must have resources under $1 million
  • Child Care Subsidy helps pay for child care while the parent, or parents in a two-parent household, participate in an approved activity. Approved activities include:
    • Employment or self-employed in legal, income-generating, taxable activities
    • Education activities include:
      • High school or high school equivalency programs for parents ages 21 and younger
      • Attending community, technical, or tribal college full-time and seeking an associate or vocational degree
      • Attending community, technical, or tribal colleges part-time and seeking an associate or vocational degree AND working 20 hours per week
      • Activities approved under the parents WorkFirst or BFET plan

Income Eligibility

The maximum household income increases from 200% of the U.S. federal poverty level (FPL) to 60% of the State Median Income (SMI).The maximum monthly income limit by household size is listed below:

Family Size

$0 Copay
(0%-20% SMI)

$65 Copay
(20%-36% SMI)

$90 Copay
(36%-50% SMI)

$115 Copay
(50%-60% SMI)

$215 Copay
(60%-65% SMI)

1$0 to $928$929 to $1,671$1,672 to $2,320$2,321 to $2,784$2,785 to $3,016
2$0 to $1,214$1,215 to $2,185$2,186 to $3,034$3,035 to $3,641$3,642 to $3,944
3$0 to $1,499$1,500 to $2,699$2,700 to $3,748$3,749 to $4,498$4,499 to $4,872
4$0 to $1,785$1,786 to $3,213$3,214 to $4,462$4,463 to $5,354$5,355 to $5,800
5$0 to $2,070$2,071 to $3,727$3,728 to $5,176$5,177 to $6,211$6,212 to $6,729
6$0 to $2,356$2,357 to $4,241$4,242 to $5,890$5,891 to $7,068$7,069 to $7,657
7$0 to $2,409$2,410 to $4,337$4,338 to $6,024$6,025 to $7,228$7,229 to $7831
8$0 to $2,463$2,464 to $4,433$4,434 to $6,157$6,158 to $7,389$7,390 to $8,005
9$0 to $2,517$2,517 to $4,530$4,531 to $6,291$6,292 to $7,550$7,551 to $8,179
10$0 to $2,570$2,571 to $4,626$4,627 to $6,425$6,426 to $7,710$7,711 to $8,353
11$0 to $2,624$2,625 to $4,722$4,723 to $6,559$6,560 to $7,871$7,872 to $8,527
12$0 to $2,677$2,678 to $4,819$4,820 to $6,693$6,694 to $8,031$8,032 to $8,701
13$0 to $2,731$2,732 to $4,915$4,916 to $6,827$6,828 to $8,192$8,193 to $8,875
14$0 to $2,784$2,785 to $5,012$5,013 to $6,961$6,962 to $8,353$8,354 to $9,049
15$0 to $2,838$2,839 to $5,108$5,109 to $7,094$7,095 to $8,513$8,514 to $9,223
16$0 to $2,891$2,892 to $5,204$5,205 to $7,228$7,229 to $8,674$8,675 to $9,397
17$0 to $2,945$2,946 to $5,301$5,302 to $7,362$7,363 to $8,835$8,836 to $9,571
18$0 to $2,998$2,999 to $5,397$5,398 to $7,496$7,497 to $8,995$8,996 to $9,745
19$0 to $3,052$3,053 to $5,493$5,494 to $7,630$7,631 to $9,156$9,157 to $9,919
20$0 to $3,106$3,107 to $5,590$5,591 to $7,764$7,765 to $9,316$9,317 to $10,093

Use the chart above to determine if your family may be eligible for WCCC and to determine your approximate copayment. (Example: If your household consists of yourself, your spouse, and two children, your household size is four. If your income is $4,100, your copayment would be $90 per month.)

Application Process

The parent must complete the WCCC application and verification process.

  • Families can apply by contacting the Child Care Subsidy Contact Center at 1-844-626-8687 or online at
  • DCYF gathers and reviews information to determine a family's eligibility.
  • Families will need to provide DCYF with the name and phone number of the child care provider. You do not have to have a provider before applying for child care subsidy.

View the instructions on creating an online account with Washington Connection.

Child Care Subsidy Program - You May Qualify

Read the printable flyer (available in English, Spanish, and Somali)

Verification Process

DCYF will need to verify the following information, as applicable. Some verification may be obtained using existing DCYF or state systems, or DCYF may request verification from families. All statements must contain a name, address, phone number, date, and signature.

What may need to be verified? (if applicable)What may be provided? Verification may include:
Residency or citizenship of childrenDCYF uses internal systems. If information is not available within these systems, the family will need to provide a social security card, birth certificate, U.S. passport, or immigration documents.
HomelessnessDCYF compares the family's living situation with family records. When conflicting information is presented, DCYF will obtain verification from a reliable source. The reliable source must be aware of family's living situation and must be willing to attest under penalty of perjury.
CustodyCourt order, signed statement from the parent(s), or a statement from a third party if unable to obtain verification from the parent(s).
Single parent statusConsumers may provide the declaration form (DCYF form 27-164) or a statement indicating the name and address of the other parent for each of the children OR attest under penalty of perjury that they are a single parent, the whereabouts of the other parent is unknown or that providing this information would cause fear of harm.
Household composition (everyone living in the household)Completed landlord statement (DCYF form 16-238), current lease agreement, or signed statement from the homeowner.
Earned incomeDCYF will attempt to verify using available systems. If information is not available electronically, DCYF may use wage stubs, payroll history, or an employer statement that the family lists the actual gross income and month it is received, including any tips, bonuses, or commissions.
Self-employmentFederal or state tax return, tax transcripts including all forms for the most current reporting year. If you use a state tax return and you use a state tax return and claim all business expenses, verification of expenses will be necessary. Verification would include a profit and loss with receipts or bank statements to support the amounts claimed.
Other income (social security income, supplemental security income, unemployment benefits, or any other income received by someone in your family)DCYF will attempt to verify using available systems. If information is not available electronically, DCYF may use award letters or notifications from corresponding agencies to verify monthly amounts.
Child supportDCYF will attempt to verify using available systems. If information is not available electronically, DCYF may use a signed and dated statement from the non-custodial parent, including the amount and frequency of support, including a signature, date, and phone number where the non-custodial parent can be reached.
If support is ordered through another state, a statement verifying the amount and frequency of support, including a signature, date, and phone number if not printed from the state child support office.
When court-ordered, the consumer pays child support and shows in internal systems, verification of the court-ordered will be required, including verification of the actual amounts paid.
Schooling and educationCopy of school registration and a written statement from a school employee verifying enrollment and the program.
Work-Study ParticipationStatement from the college or case manager, including total hours awarded.
BFET participationDCYF will use internal systems to verify current enrollment in an approved activity and the amount of time participating in this activity.
WorkFirst activity participantsDCYF will use internal systems to verify current enrollment in an approved activity and the amount of time participating in this activity.

Finding Child Care

There are different provider options parents may choose to fit the needs of their family. Parents may choose from:

  • Licensed or certified child care centers
  • Licensed or certified family child care homes
  • Unlicensed care, typically referred to as family, friend, or neighbor (FFN) child care

Licensed child care providers follow minimum licensing requirements set by Washington State to ensure children are in safe, healthy, and nurturing places.

Learn more about licensed child care

If you are not sure where to find licensed child care providers,your local Child Care Aware Washington agencycan help. Call 1-800-446-1114 for help.

You have a choice in finding quality early care and learning settings in Washington State.

  • You Have a Choice! A Guide to Finding Quality Child Care
  • For more information,go to the Find Child Care / Early Learning page
  • Child Care Check is a search tool for you to get information about individual child care providers and early learning programs in Washington

Some families prefer to have a family, friend, or neighbor care for their child or provide care in the child's home. When you choose a child care provider who is exempt from licensing, you have extra responsibilities.

The provider you must be:

For more information go to the Family, Friends and Neighbor provider page

Note: In-home providers who are relatives and are paid child care subsidies to care for children receiving WCCC benefits, may not receive those benefits for their children during the hours in which they provide subsidized child care.

Additional Support

Parents of children with special needs may qualify for higher rates to help pay for additional supports needed. Further information is provided below.

  • Special needs eligibility, application and rate information
  • Special Needs Child Care Rate Request


Families or parents with questions about their copayment may call the DCYF Child Care Contact Center at 1-844-626-8687.

Child care providers with questions about a family's copay may contact the DCYF Provider Help Line by emailingproviderhelp@dcyf.wa.govor calling 1-800-394-4571.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Msgr. Benton Quitzon

Last Updated: 02/10/2023

Views: 6372

Rating: 4.2 / 5 (63 voted)

Reviews: 94% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Msgr. Benton Quitzon

Birthday: 2001-08-13

Address: 96487 Kris Cliff, Teresiafurt, WI 95201

Phone: +9418513585781

Job: Senior Designer

Hobby: Calligraphy, Rowing, Vacation, Geocaching, Web surfing, Electronics, Electronics

Introduction: My name is Msgr. Benton Quitzon, I am a comfortable, charming, thankful, happy, adventurous, handsome, precious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.